Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Zip-Tag Trial

Today I tried assembling my first yarn creation with zip-tags. It is usually recommended for larger graffiti bombs as a means to trim down the time spend setting it up.
Because I live in Canada, I thought that it would be convenient to use zip-tags not only for larger projects, but for winter as well.  To kill two birds with one stone, I had created a large crocheted swatch to be attached to a stop sign in front of a very busy mall, and had planned on swiftly set it up using zip-ties. 

It was unfortunate that this technique back-fired. I did not find it any more convenient to zip-tie my creation up. In the end, in fact, I thought it lost some of its *umph* as some may say.  I found they took away the natural-ness of the yarn when it was being tangled together with the plastic ties. 

Anyways, the zip-ties kept on busting whenever I tried to tighten it past a certain point. Now, I am not sure if this is because of the cold, or because I was just overly excited that I was pulling to hard, but in the end it took just as long as hand sewing. 

I think for the summer projects, even the larger ones, will be hand sewn. I like it a little better. 

I would also like to thank my wonderful sister for joining me for this yarn-bomb. It was her first venture out, and I think she liked it! I may have found a partner in crime. 

P.s) For those who are wondering, we clipped the ugly excess plastic and wove it under the yarn. It wasn't all gross and plastic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment