Monday, March 7, 2011

Toddler+Yarn= Disaster

There are many reasons off the top of my head why having a project around little fingers can be dangerous. The most inconvenient occurrence I find myself facing with having a curious little toddler around would be the pulling, and unraveling of yarn, and projects.

I have tried crocheting while in the company of my little boy, and have logically decided to wait till after bed time. This restriction is based on the fact that Jack (my 2.5 year old) finds it amusing to take the ball of yarn I am working with, and will run around the room as it is unraveling around him while the newest addition to our little family, the cat, bounds after him.  
When he would do this, it would leave me frantically scrambling after him as he would weave around and under the table, up the stairs, giggling at my struggle to catch him.

With this lesson learned in the past I usually would know better than to take my yarn out during the day.  I thought I was 'in the clear' while Jack was sleeping and started to crochet another project. I was attempting to have a productive day, and decided to crocheting in between monitoring the fresh batch of cookies in the oven. 

It was not long after that Jack had awoken from his nap in a fowl mood.  As I was battling his tantrums in my attempt to ready him for the afternoon, the timer on the oven started beeping instinctively as a reminder that my perfect multi-tasking afternoon was crashing down around me.
In all the commotion, I forgot that I left my crocheting on the couch.

After getting Jack changed, and rushed downstairs to free the blackening cookies from their scorching domain. My project was the last thing on my mind. 
I placed the cookies on the wire rack, and realized the house was suspiciously quiet. It was then I remembered my project. I rushed to the living room to find what was not unexpected, but still disappointing. Jack has pulled apart the entire 6oz ball of yarn, and left it scattered across the couch. 


I guess my lesson is learned. 
Toddler+Yarn= Disaster





No comments:

Post a Comment