Thursday, March 3, 2011

Yarn bombing is not a winter craft!

For those of you who read this, I live in Canada.
Canada is friggin' cold! I think I picked the wrong time of year to decide this is something I wanted to do.
What is worse is that I always undoubtedly decide at the wrong times to voyage outside to set my little diddles up.
For some insane reason I never consider checking something as inconvenient as the weather channel to predict if my fingers will turn blue in my desperate attempt to hold my sewing needle still.
So far this winter season I have set up five tags, and each time I negate the fact that it is winter.

This also brings me to another tip for the Canadian (or winter) tagger.

First, always bring fingered gloves. Mittens will not help in the least when fingers need to be available. If this is the case, it may be more helpful to try attaching a tag with feet or teeth.

Secondly, for larger projects most yarn bombers use zip-ties to attach projects quickly and swiftly. It would have been something to consider if I had properly researched effective methods for attaching tags quickly.  Zip-tags are now on my list of groceries to help me for the rest of the blistery season.
They would also be convenient for winter projects as well.

These two tip I am taking forward for the rest of my knitting/crocheting graffiti endeavors.
It will help to avoid a lot of unnecessary fumbling of needles, numb fingers, and the unfortunate realization that I had dropped the yarn I was using to stitch to begin with. Trying to get yarn back through a needle when you cant feel the needle being held is a very difficult feat.





2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. Completely. Yarn bombing is fun and addictive, and this is the wrong time of the year to start this hobby! ... however, like you, I have been out in the cold cozy-ing up the place.
    I am going to post a link to your blog on mine...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!
    I have decided I need to add 'making wrist-warmers' on my list of crafts to complete.
    Luckily, I think the worst of the season is coming to an end.

    I think I am going to start preparing for the spring/ summer. It makes sense to stock up now while I'm hibernating from the outside world.

    I am fascinated with the idea of car antenna cozy's, so I may need to make an exception.

    ReplyDelete